Thursday, August 6, 2009

The final blow

In the summer night when the wind blows
and I close my eyes to picture this
moving invisible something
that cools me and the darkness,

I see a face.

Whose face is this
that I’ve closed my eyes to see?
It doesn’t move.
No blinking.
No smile.
No frown.
All muscle twitches stopped.

Gazing on the face, it’s then that I know where I am called to live
and how long.
The wind speaks it to me...
this cool wind that blows from across the desert.

I know this face. It is vain for me
to ask Whose it is.
It is the face I will stare at for eternity
only if
I start staring now
and continue until then--
the face that I must not open my eyes to lose.

Eyes closed. The world shuttered out.
There,
almost still,
with air touching me
then moving past,
I see.

Nearly still now.

It is hard to love just a face.
It is hard to like a face that no longer smiles,
or even frowns—
a face that doesn’t move
at least for now....

The leaves on the tree stop. Silence.

For now, but for a moment...

...and in this moment
with the leaves still
and the tree still
and the wind still
and nothing now to cool my thoughts
or refresh my patience
or blow away the thoughts of my day
and the dust of my imperfections...
just then...

I see a tear
there,

on the face,
not yet dried.

I reach out toward it,
but cannot.
The closer my finger gets
to the wetness on this face,
the more my hand must pull back.

I want to touch it before it dries,
but more tears flow--
tears which are a gift,
and mine.

Powerless, unable to reach further,
I can only touch these instead,
and my own face
which wants to hide
as it distorts itself in cries and grief.

Anguish.

This last remaining tear--
undried
come out before the eyelids dropped--
was cried for me
long, long before mine for His.

Then in the sad dark night
when the sobbing for a face
that no longer moves
becomes my only
pieta
,
I feel the wind again.


I know now, this wind.
I feel it,
on my face,
from across this desert
come to dry my tears.

Believing the story
I know this breeze as I know my own breath,
and peace comes.

The breeze,
the air,
that came out
of the mouth of this Man
before all muscles ceased,
as He pushed up
and gasped
and grabbed
and pulled
and tore
and groaned

then heaved

and breathed His last,
complete and final breath
from deepest depths
and past relaxing, dying lips
that kiss the air so-long.
Oh, the Face with the tear
upon which I now stare!
(eyes closed)

Oh, the One who gave to the Father
this kiss,
and yes to us--
of His forever and final Spirit
Holy
Unending
Life-giving

and cooling in the night.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

test

None said...

Len! Beautiful. My favorite parts are: "past ... lips that kiss the air so-long" and "becomes my only pieta." I think of my own writing now as my "pieta." I am glad to see you are writing! How does it feel? PtS

Len said...

How does it feel? Painful, but relieving. Necessary. De-scabbing (as in the intransitive verb). Also, it opens my eyes up to a gift from God that some spiritual writers have alluded to... don't know if you've ever heard of it... the "gift of tears." It comes hand in hand, no doubt, with the processes involved when the heart is changed from stone back to what it should have been all along. It's good for me to step back from it once in a while. I think that I'm not really called to be "a writer." There's something else, and I think I hear the whispers, but I'm still discerning. How about you... is the writing the call, or part of something biggers??? Feel free to share...

Anonymous said...

Yes, Len, that's the point, and why I encourage you to keep at it, even if you are not "called" to writing. Whatever your calling, this writing will help you order and purge and give first expression to some of what is inside you, broiling around and desperate to come out. This is as necessary as the doing, whatever it will be. It is the "be-ing" from which the action of the Holy Spirit springs in ministry to our neighbor...PtS

Anonymous said...

In answer to your question, specifically, yes, teaching/writing is a most definitely a calling for me, part of the promise 10 years ago that I have alluded to in several blog posts, and if I didn't do it, I would both feel and be unfulfilled spiritually, emotionally, and potentially. PtS

Len said...

Praise God for an encounter I had on Sunday. It was after Mass. A fellow parishoner and I started talking about the need for prayer concerning our health care situation... inevitably our discussion turned to the little ones. Her daughter will be a senior at an area all-girl's Catholic high school. The girl is in the choir, and eventually joined us in the conversation. She'll be the "Teens for Life" representative at school this fall,now that she's a senior. The mom knows my writings (Catholic Online), and where my heart is in with that. Then a light went off in the mom's mind--to invite me as a guest speaker to the high school this fall. Perhaps giving talks/lectures is part of the bigger is calling. When writing... and trying to convince others of something... it's hard to really show the zeal for the topic. Adjectives and imperatives only convey so much when typed. But the spoken word has much more direct power when it comes to persuasion. Anyhow... I'm still praying, and know I'm on your list, as your calling is on my list as well. All things (and people) work together to build up the Body of Christ, eh??